In order for a business to succeed, it is crucial that its employees effectively communicate and collaborate. This requires a well-designed IT infrastructure, which begins with adequate network cabling. You can have very fast computers and network devices but if the network wiring is substandard, performance will be poor.
Unfortunately, many businesses do not have quality cabling in place, resulting in a number of problems. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the hindrances of inadequate cabling, and how ITS Group ensures quality network cabling for its clients.
Why Don’t Businesses Make Cabling a Priority?
There are several reasons that businesses do not prioritize cabling.
- Cabling is often thought of as an invisible infrastructure, so it is easy for businesses to forget about it until there is a problem. Often, the top priority is making the system operational as fast as possible, rather than ensuring long-term efficiency and connectivity.
- Cabling can be expensive, so businesses may not want to invest in it unless there is an immediate need. Cabling can also be complex and businesses may not have the expertise to install or maintain it properly; using unqualified employees, rather than IT professionals, to do the wiring can be problematic.
- Network cabling is often seen as a low-priority item when compared to other business needs.
Consequences of Bad Network Cabling
Unfortunately, businesses get caught up in these mindsets easily, and it’s important to remember that cabling is a critical part of any organization. Incorrect or inadequate cabling can cause a number of headaches:
- Bad cabling—first and foremost—looks bad. If you work in a brick and mortar office, your cabling can be an eyesore to clients and management. It projects a message that your office is disorganized and unkempt, even if that’s not the case.
- Inadequate network cabling will cause prolonged downtime, which can cost a business thousands of dollars.
- Poor cabling causes network disruption, signal interference, and unreliability. It’s the physical representation of a non-optimized, slower network.
- Lazy network cabling causes a headache when you need to upgrade your system. You spend more time making sense of the chaos than booting up your new technology.
What Are the Barriers to Successful Cabling?
While bad cabling has several consequences, it’s imperative to recognize that there are barriers to successful cabling, making it a challenge to establish an optimized network:
- Incompatible or outdated equipment: If a business is using incompatible or outdated parts and equipment, it will not be able to take advantage of the latest technological advances. This can lead to decreased productivity and increased costs.
- Lack of trained personnel: Untrained personnel are more likely to make mistakes when installing or maintaining cabling systems. This can lead to costly repairs and downtime.
- Unqualified contractors: If you are in a state that requires a low-voltage/limited energy license (Florida and many others) to install infrastructure cabling, it may be difficult to find a competent, licensed installer.
If you’ve faced any of these barriers, you’re not alone and there are solutions!
Why Do Businesses Need Solid Cabling?
The first step to having a pristine network cabling system is to understand why it matters. Businesses need solid cabling for three main reasons:
- Improved communication: Quality cabling can improve communication by providing clear signals and reducing interference.
- Increased productivity: Quality cabling can increase productivity by reducing downtime and providing fast data transfer speeds; icreased productivity means an increase in the organization’s bottom line.
- Reduced costs: Quality cabling can reduce costs by eliminating the need for frequent repairs and upgrades.
How Does Partnering with ITS Group Benefit a Business?
At ITS Group, we understand the importance of a quality IT infrastructure and we have the expertise to implement one. We offer a wide range of network cabling services to help businesses to overcome the challenges of inadequate cabling. Our services include:
- Network design and installation
- Cabling infrastructure upgrades
- Maintenance and repair
Additionally, we make it a priority to follow Florida’s compliance laws and regulations, ensuring we are able to provide our clients with the highest quality cabling services available.
If you’re interested in learning more about how ITS Group can benefit your business, contact us today. We would be happy to answer any questions you may have.